What is an Ultralight Gyrocopter?

A rotor aircraft which, in flight, has a propulsion power and a rotor which, by autorotation, provides lift.  An Ultralight gyrocopter has no more than 2 crew seats and a maximum takeoff weight (MTOW) of no more than:

330 kg - for single-seat gyros

560kg - for two-seater gyros



Pilots flying ULM aircraft have pilot qualification certificates. Such certificates are obtained in certified training centers specifically for a given type of aircraft. That is, for example, the lightweight gyro.

If someone holds such a certificate, it only entitles them to pilot that type of aircraft and not, for example, a motorboat.

This also applies to other types. You need to undergo additional training in an official training center, which must be completed with a positive result before a qualified examiner, which is then entered as such (TR) into the certificate.

With regard to landing such aircraft anywhere in Poland (including off-site designated as other take-off and landing sites, landings or airports), this is possible under certain conditions.

If the flight was in radio communication and an air or ground flight plan was made, it should be reported to the appropriate air traffic control services in the destination area.

Once accepted, you can land - remember to report your arrival to close the flight plan.  Otherwise, emergency services could initiate exploration work, which can cost you dearly.

Remember that the landing could take place on private land, and here comes the dilemma;  Have you obtained permission from the owner?

If the flight takes place without notification - ie there is no rescue option, we land on our own responsibility.

 Xenon falls within the scope of the Polish law on Ultralight Gyrocopters.

 According to this nomenclature, referring to the REGULATION OF THE MINISTRY OF INFRASTRUCTURE of 25 April 2005,

You can not use ultralight aircraft to organise passenger transportation for money, while other applications, including shooting, scanning, filming and observation are not subject to exclusion.

It is also possible to make IFR (visually impaired) flights - provided you have the proper equipment to perform such flights, proper training and are current.


Who can pilot an ultralight aircraft?

In order to pilot an ultralight aircraft in Poland, you must have an ultra-light pilot's qualification certificate issued by ULC (Civil Aviation Authority) or have a foreign license (also issued by the ULC).


How can I earn the right to pilot an ultra light aircraft?

You should get training in a pilot school, Polish or foreign.  Before completing the training you will need to undergo a medical examination and pass a relatively simple theoretical course.  The training ends with a theoretical and practical exam.

Training time is a minimum of 30 hours.


Where is the training conducted?

Training for future Xenon pilots consists of theoretical and practical parts and takes place at ARGO.Aero FLIGHT ACADEMY in Biskupice near Warsaw.


Will I be able to carry passengers, such as family or friends?

Yes, of course.  After training and getting a qualification certificate, you can fly with passengers.


Will an ultralight be able to perform international flights, eg to fly abroad?

Yes. UL regulations allow the possibility of international flights. The last place in the territory of Poland and the first landing in the territory of a foreign state must take place at an airport providing passport clearance or customs clearance, when you land in a country outside the European Union.


I own the proverbial "meadow" and I would like to take off and land my ultralight from this place. Is it possible?


However, before you begin operations on this landing field, you must complete several formalities.  According to the present law: a private, legal landing zone is called "another place adapted for take off and landing".  Follow the appropriate instructions according to the published pattern, make a map with the marked runway and landings, describe the terrain and nearby obstacles, and determine the take-off and landing procedures.  No landing infrastructure is required.  This instruction is approved by the ULC, with no major problems as the instruction is a statement.  The instructions are accompanied by a statement by the landowner and the local government administration (head of district, village head, etc.) that there are no legal obstacles to aviation activities in the area.  All formalities can be prepared within a few days.  Then we wait for the stamps and signatures from the ULC and we can start the activity on our own landing pad. The official cost is about 500-750 Euro.


When starting from my private landing field, do I have to notify someone about the flight, where I fly, in what direction, at what altitude, etc.?

No, if your landing site is outside of a controlled space or active flexible space management structures (TSA, ATZ, MATZ, etc.), you do not need to tell anyone about planned flights. Unless you wish to have emergency services and air information services provided.


What other skills can I gain by training on ultralight aircraft?

In ultra light aircraft, as in general aviation, there is a training program.  You can perform solo flights by qualifying for the pilot's ultralight aircraft licence.  You will be able to carry passengers.  By passing the appropriate training you will be eligible for VFR controlled flights.  This will allow you to taste "bigger" aviation, ie fly in controlled air space and take off and land at controlled airports.  All requirements (such as correspondence rules, transponder usage, etc.) for these types of flights and procedures are determined by Air Traffic Control (IL-4444).  Finally, by getting the proper qualifications and number of aircraft types you could become an instructor.


Can poor health be an obstacle?

This question can only be answered properly by a medical examiner.  In general, health conditions that could result in an incapacity to pilot the aircraft while in flight could be a problem.


Where can I do a medical examination?

Civil Aeronautical and Medical Acknowledgment Commission

Detailed information provided under no. Tel. (022) 685 28 33 or 685 28 55

The tests are performed within one day with the release of the evaluation.  Airline registration in 7.30-9.15.

Airline surveys are conducted according to the current guidelines of the Civil Aviation Authority. Since June 2002, the JAR-FCL 3 provisions have been introduced, replacing the 1962 L-8 used to date.

Aerial medical examinations according to JARs for classes 1,2 and 3 are carried out in accordance with the Regulation of the Minister of Infrastructure dated 21.10.2003 "on the mental and physical fitness of applicants for a member of staff or licensed personnel member flying "


• on the day of the test be fasted (laboratory tests)

• proof of identity with a photograph

• military booklet for inspection (pre-trial applicants only) registration fee


More questions? Write to: kris@argo.aero



Celier Aviation Ltd. that change into ARGO.Aero

Al. Katowicka, 11 05-830 Wolica/Warsaw, Poland


VAT : 1231208563 | Regon: 142314725 KRS:0000355281

District Court for the Capital City of Warsaw, XIV Business Division


© 2016 2can & ARGO.Aero